- Executive functioning skills of the brain
- Background knowledge about the connection between the brain and behavior that specifically impacts driving skill: Impulsivity; Distractibility; Inattention
- How and why to use effective external tools to compensate for what ADHD and other challenged students cannot do themselves
- The maturational lag common in ADHD teens and how this lag directly impacts driving performance
- ADHD teens need a longer training phase; we provide a recommended GDL for instructors to share with parents and create an awareness for the need for extra time before license
- Impaired Behaviors and How they Mimic DUI: important information to empower the new teen driver to handle situations where police may stop them due to driving behaviors caused by their ADHD.
- Impact of stimulant medications on ADHD drivers; how missing a dose can impact driving skill and recommendations for dealing with this matter with parents
- Enhanced Drivers Log for ADHD students
- Information on the newest technology available for mitigating risks associated with texting and cell phone use and other things that contribute to distracted driving
What Does Behind the Wheel with ADHD Offer?
- Parents will immediately appreciate the value added to their child’s driver training experience.
- You will learn how to implement specific strategies for your students with ADHD to mitigate some of the risks associated with their disability.
- Instructors will leave the training with a new set of tools to work with these students as they learn to manage distractions, impulsivity, and other impediments to safe driving. This training is so new it is not available to other driver training schools yet.
- You will benefit from the research done on how drivers with ADHD can create a set of routines that eliminate many of the risky behaviors associated with ADHD and driving. Instructors will be able to convey guidance to parents on these opportunities to modify the practice driving experiences at home.
- You will learn the impact that some stimulant medication has on the effectiveness of driving performance and some useful tips on how we coach teens who need medication to sustain their attention.